Sunday, October 31, 2010
Saturday, October 9, 2010
Saturday, September 25, 2010
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Monday, September 6, 2010
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Friday, July 9, 2010
Sunday, July 4, 2010
Saturday, June 26, 2010
- You can add information to your file from FamilySearch. You can: Choose to replace information in your file with better information; add additional information that enhances your record; add additional relatives to your file, such as children, spouses or parents; mark your records with the FamilySearch ID for future reference.
- You can add new information and people from your file directly into FamilySearch. There is no need to type each person into FamilySearch. Family Insight will do it for you. Relationships will be linked as you add these people. To prevent duplication, Family Insight will search for your person before you add them.
To learn more about Family Insight, and to take video tutorials, go to www.ohanasoftware.com. There is a one-time fee for the download.
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Saturday, May 29, 2010
Friday, May 14, 2010
- Specific ancestors that you're trying to find
- Which records are best for a particular time period
- Locations of resources
- Features of new.familysearch.org
- Any other FamilySearch product or web site, such as the indexing site.
To access the FamilySearch Forums, click here: http://forums.familysearch.org/
If you register on the site, you will need to set up a user name and password because the Forums site has not yet converted to the LDS Account system. Hint: It is recommended that when you register for Forums, you choose the same user name and password that you use for your LDS Account so that you will not have to change your user information later.
Join the community and find the answers you need, and contribute what you know to help others!
Friday, April 23, 2010
Monday, March 15, 2010
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Friday, February 26, 2010
- National Genealogical Society 2010 Family History Conference
- BYU 2010 Conference on Computerized Family History and Genealogy
- BYU 10th Annual Family History Technology Workshop
- FamilySearch's 2010 Developers Conference
The premier event of the week is the National Genealogical Society's annual conference. The theme for the conference is "Follow Your Ancestral Trail." It will be held at the Salt Palace Convention Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, on April 28 - May 1, 2010.
Price and registration information can be found at http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/cs/attendee_registration. There is an early-bird discount until March 8, 2010.
Over 200 classes will be presented by industry leaders and experts from the local and national genealogical community as well as staff from FamilySearch. Products and services from genealogy companies will be showcased in an exhibit hall. There you can also meet with specialists for free personal consultations on research questions or problems.
NGS Conference details and the class schedule are available online at:
- Hours at the Family History Library have been extended until 11 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday during the conference
- The BYU 2010 Conference on Computerized Family History and Genealogy will be held at the same venue on April 26 - 27.
- The BYU 10th Annual Family History Technology Workshop will be on April 28, also in the same venue.
This promises to be a full week of family history learning and activities!!
Saturday, February 13, 2010
- Ancestry.com -- This is a paid subscription site. Ancestry has the most complete census records on the web.
- usgenweb.com -- Has various census records; these collections will continue to grow as volunteers update the records.
- pilot.familysearch.org -- Has various census records throughout the world. Some are indexes or images only. This site is continually growing and changing, so keep checking back to view the additions.
- Free sites at the Family History Centers include:
1911 UK Census...........1911 census for United Kingdom
The Genealogist.........United Kingdom census records
Godfrey Library.........Various census records worldwide
Heritage Quest...........Has US Federal census records
World Vital Records......Various census records worldwide
Friday, February 5, 2010
- Add information from your database (PAF) to the new FamilySearch Web site.
- Add information from the new FamilySearch Web site to your database
- Correct or delete information
- Mark information as incorrect
- Reserve names for ordinance work
Two certified PAF add-ins are Ancestral Quest and Family Insight. These programs allow users to access, print, update and sync with online information in new.familysearch.org. They are intended for use with PAF 5 to read and write PAF files and Gedcom files in conjunction with the online family tree at new. familysearch.org. For a complete list of third party computer programs that synchronize information, see:
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Saturday, January 23, 2010
- How to use the Wiki video demo (under Wiki tutorials)
- Where to start
- Research analysis
- Organization and Documentation
- Get Started in Research
- News and Events
- Links to other Internet sites with online family history tutorials
Saturday, January 16, 2010
- Church records
- Civil Registration